So, does the RX100 live up to all the hype?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrys
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
Re: Different hype
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 24, 2012

Ray Sachs wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The LX7 has about a one stop advantage in LENS SPEED / APERTURE wide open and more as you move up through the zoom range, while the RX100 has a commensurate advantage as you move up in ISO. From looking at the comparometer, which is limited to jpegs unfortunately, the only place I see a clear advantage to the Sony is at base ISO, where the resolution is really a big deal. But as you move up into 800, 1600, and 3200 ISO, if I can shoot the LX7 at 1600 where I'd need 3200 on the RX100, I don't see much difference between them, or any difference I care about.

Thanks for clarifying.

But I still might have gone for the RX100 but for the inability to zone focus with it. That's not a big deal at all to most people who don't use it if they even remember what it is. But I use it extensively for the type of street shooting I do a lot of. That's not ALL I'd be buying this camera for, but I do enough of it I'd never buy a camera that I couldn't comfortably use that way. Hence, for me, its a deal breaker. I'll take a camera I can use almost exactly how I like and really helps me GET the shot than one that I'd be fighting with and missing shots on, even if those I got looked a bit better.

For zone-like shooting, I'm almost always on "Spot" rather than any multi type exposure. aimed at something in the same distance-zone I'm interested in and then I set that while moving the camera for the composition wanted.

The RX100 also has an autofocus setting they call "flexible spot" -- "Allows you to move the AF range finder frame to the desired point on the screen and focus on an extremely small subject in a narrow area."

Sounds sort of zonish but maybe too narrow, and I don't know if this is what you mean or whether it would begin to work for you.

-- hide signature --

• Andrys

http://www.pbase.com/andrys (Yosemite, Italy, Turkey, Machu Picchu, Petra)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NO!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow