Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maxxjr
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...
Jul 24, 2012

Why I'll have a look...

for business travel, where I want to take a camera just in case. Call it a prejudice or "DSLR snobbery", but I just haven't had an interest in a P&S. I like to avoid flash unless necessary, so APS-C with better high-ISO performance, and a fast lens are key. (Maybe a mistake, since a P&S would be cheaper). I now have the 40mm pancake + T3i for a small-ish DSLR set up for these trips. (I still have the Sigma 30, and will have to see if the f2.8 on the pancake is worth the trade-off for size)

What I'll look for...

From the few reviews that I have read, none of the pancake lenses on other mirror-less systems have really leapt out as being great. If the Canon 22mm shines, that will be a major reason for me to look at the EOS M system...and then I'll have the secondary benefit of having a back-up camera that works (with adapter) with my other lenses. I have been impressed with the 40mm, and reviews seem to back that up. So maybe some of the design magic is re-used in the 22mm.

For the most part, I don't care about a lot of the bells and whistles on a lot of new cameras. (though slow AF will be an issue if still there on production models). I can learn a new interface, and I am not religious about view finders (for this type of camera).

If the lens is nothing special...

Maybe I'll look at other mirror-less camera systems, or at a P&S again. Or maybe I'll continue to wait...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow