Pentax 555 - finally time to move on...

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 555 - finally time to move on...
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Jul 24, 2012

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

The K-5 is a great base on which to build: it will give you plenty of scope to develop your skill as a photographer.

The 18-135 will be a huge improvement from what you've been used to. It isn't really in the same class as the K-5, though, so be prepared for the slippery slope of wanting better lenses later.

A wonderful choice! That 18-135 is on my radar! I want a practical weather-sealed lens for when changing primes is impractical or impossible due to weather.

I'd say wait a little for the prime, just so you can get used to the K5 and zoom. The K5 is a superb camera! If you have old K mount lens, they all work. And the can be found on ebay for very cheap. Pentax is coming out soon with a DA 50 similar to the DA 35 f/2.4. Upscale candidates are the 43 and 77 limited, the DA* 55 and the DA* 50-135 zoom. I have the first 2 and love them, but have been very impressed by the results i've seen here from the other 2.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow