x-pro or x100 on trip to Iceland

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul Szilard
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
Re: x-pro or x100 on trip to Iceland
In reply to smatty, Jul 24, 2012

I own a comprehensive Nikon soutfit and the X100 and X-PRO1. I love all of them. For your trip, the first question, other than cost, is will you be happy with a single fixed focul length camera, or one with a small choice of outstanding, prime lenses, or would you prefer a cam with a good quality zoom.

The X100 is 35mm equivalent lens is ok for waist to head people shots, but that is not a portrait as I understand it. It is also rather limiting for the vast spacious landscape shots. So I would personally not take the X100 as the only camera for such a great trip.

The X-PRO1 with its 35mm f1.4 (equivalent to a 52mm film lens) is great for portraits and the 18mm f2 (27mm film equivalent) is a great prime lens for landscape. BUT it means changing lenses. It is also very much a "photographer's" camera not really a point and shoot. If you are ok with these points then it is brilliant. Make sure you take a 2nd battery and get some practice before going.

Most versatile, however would be something like a Nikon D700 with the 24-120mm f4 VR lens. If that is too big, then consider the Nikon D7000, or going down in size, the Olympus 5M is another good product. Pf course other brands also offer similar, I am just not familiar with all brands' models.

-- hide signature --

just my 2 cents' worth.

Wish I could come with you
--
paul szilard
http://photos.remektek.com.au

Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow