Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
D800(E) the top, reliable DSLR
Jul 24, 2012

This forum is alive with people slinging at the D800(E)

Many (not all) don't have this camera and know nothing about it (evidenced from: my D700 is ok; deciding to upgrade; from what I hear, etc.)

This is what has been called the problem, of the "super testers", or the hype of the Internet.

I see many threads here talking about D800(e) quality control, and lots of problems. etc.

This is plain cr@p. the quality of the D800(e) is second to none, extremely well built, one of the best DSLRs, if not the best, ever

In terms of the real issues. There is a issue with the extreme left AF points for many cameras.
1. This can only be seen when the lens is wide open, typically f2 and below

2. This is generally only an issue for wide angle lenses (can be observed on 50mm, but mainly 35mm or below)

There are some folk who have all their AF a large way out. This can happen to any camera (I had it on one D7000) and is an easy fix by any service centre.

The left AF issue can be fixed by many service centres (Netherlands, Singapore, etc.) and appears to be simply re-writing some firmware values which were mis-written in production.

We are pi$$ed off with Nikon as they haven't said anything in public and haven't seemed to inform all their serive centres of the fix. I still give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps this is something very complex and they don't want to make any announcement until everything is corrected and all service centres are informed ? who knows ? something sooner would be better but still its not an issue for me (it might be for some people).

Also, I have to say, loads of people are doing the wrong test, and the Reikal software seems to give erroneous results alot of the time. I wouldn't give this software the time of day.

The AF module in the D800(e) is otherwise extremely precise and has been tested to work in lower light then any other current AF module.
Unlike the 5Dii which only had one reliable point, the D800(e) has many more.

I am convinced most people would not have noticed this had it not been pointed out repeatedly. Its unlikely anyone uses 3D tracking at less then f2.8 and most people don't use surrouning points for single focus.

I know there are people that do, and I know that everyone, rightly, expects full compliance. but IMHO this is not an issue for > 90% of photographers.

I hope Nikon does the right thing soon and I completley empathise with folk who have sent to the service centres multiple times, but also I wish many people would stop posting stupid threads and saying incorrect things.

I prefer what the Leica forum did when the SD card crashing problem came to light (which is still not 100% fixed), they made one thread to talk about it in the forum and banned all other threads that mentioned it.

We should do the same here.

Now back to taking pictures. I will not be posting here again until, if everything goes well, my big travel opportunity coming up is finished, end of August say, after which I hope to post some good/interesting pics (as an amateur that is).

I am ecstatic with the pictures I am getting from the D800E (with only two lenses, the 35mm f1.4G and 85mm f1.G - just outstanding lenses) and pleased that there is still nothing else on the market that vaguely attracts me.

I can't wait to pick it up. I take it to work each day (single prime walk-about - pick a prime, pick a day )

Have a good summer everyone (winter for those down under) and see you on the other side of the Olympics ....

-- hide signature --
 harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow