Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
stasvolik
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
Re: Not what Sony calls an SLT...
In reply to WilbaW, Jul 24, 2012

WilbaW wrote:

stasvolik wrote:

I am completely at a loss why would this be preferable to having PD-AF sensors on the main sensor ...

You're right... if PD AF on the image sensor (PDAFOTIS) performs as well as a dedicated sensor.

I see. still it seems to me that a refinement of something that's already in production at this point is a surer bet, than a development of completely new and complex system. It's a surer bet from technical and business POV, especially since the alternative proposed by you does not offer any clear advantages in the long term. On the contrary - Nikon, Canon et al probably can iterate a couple of generations of PDAFOTIS before getting a version 1 of your system out .

I find it hard to believe that Canon would not do pure PDAFOTIS in the 650D (and EOS-M?) if it were possible (unless it's marketing decision - watch out for the 70D :-)). Instead we got a hybrid mode which uses PDAFOTIS only to make an initial gross focus adjustment.

As mosswings pointed out in http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=42090216 , there's no reason to consider it a drawback. Au contraire: imagine a world of fast tracking AF with no back/frontfocus issues, no problems of AF sensor alignment (thanks to Joseph for that point), no need for microadjustment... IMHO, that would not be bad at all :).

-- hide signature --

Comments and critiques are always welcome .

Cheers,
Stas.

stasvolik's gear list:stasvolik's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow