Ansel Adams Challenge

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
SeaPower
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Ansel Adams Challenge
In reply to kbColorado, Jul 24, 2012

I wouldn’t read too much into the voting and challenges, but just look on it as a bit of fun and a chance to see other people’s images. They do call them challenges rather than competitions, of course it is always nice to have the praise of others, but remember that the voting is done by the general public so to do well you have to appeal to their tastes. It could be your style of photography is not in vogue, but it doesn’t make it any less valid.

If you consider the Ansel Adams challenge there was 200 entries and 5457 votes so basically the equivalent of just over 27 people voted for all entries. I did enter this challenge and I did vote, though I do consider it odd (wrong) to vote on a challenge I have entered, but if I didn’t there would be even fewer votes. The picture that came second received four 0.5 votes but I think some people might consider the clouds overworked, they could be harsh critics or don’t know Ansel Adams style.

I am sure there are people who cheat it’s just human nature but I don’t think they really have much effect on the final result and the more people that vote the less effect. Again if we consider the Ansel challenge one of the rules is a minimum size of 1024x768, when I entered the challenge I read this as maximum size (normally they state maximum not minimum). As far as I can see the winning shot is 1000x667 so should it be disqualified? To me it is one of the best shots and has a very Adams feel, I am sure the entrant has it in bigger size somewhere.

As I said at the start I would look at the challenges as a bit of fun, the judging and voting has few constraints and hence can throw up some strange results. There are a lot of rigorous photography competitions out there if you want a real challenge.

SeaPower's gear list:SeaPower's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow