Move from D7000 to E-M5 a bad idea?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
pgilland
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?
Re: Really bad idea because.
In reply to Richard, Jul 24, 2012

Richard wrote:

You appear to me you don't know what you want or how to use your equipment. If you are concerned with mirror slap, use the exposure delay mode.

Not really, just was interested to see what others had to say. I never mentioned mirror slap, it was never an issue for me.

I know what I'm doing with my equipment well enough to know that I think it's time to make a change for something that suits me better. I look at it as a system (because that is what it is), and I'm not going to let an expensive system sit on a shelf because I didn't want to lug it around every where I go for the next year. It's really simple, I bought this system for an intended purpose, that passed. I want a system that works best for what comes next.

So you either bought 2 D7000 cameras without thoroughly testing them out for focus issues, or you bough one, used it then bought another even after figuring out the camera had focus issues. Don't see any logic there.

Yes I bought them, and enjoyed them over the last 6 months. They're great cameras. I just don't think AF is reliable enough at times. I never keep my DSLR's long any way. Sorry if that bothers some, but I enjoy new toys anyway. As for testing before hand, don't have a way to do that. You might say I live in a remote area.

So now you figure you will go and sell your two cameras. But wait, lets consider the D700 for a moment.... no... too expensive, but I have found D700 for 1600to1700 on craigs list and this camera will take all your current lenses upgrade to FF lenses later.

A D700 and lenses later would mean no return in $$ now, and planning to spend more later. Not exactly what I had in mind financially. I have different priorities for the toy fund coming up.

So now you are going to get an Oly for $1500 sight unseen based on recommendations from people who own the camera (biased) and my never have touched the d7000 and even if they have, how do you know they are competent? It seems like bad decision after bad decision and now onto another bad decision. My advise is to keep what you have an learn how to use it. If you need money sell only one of the cameras (you are going to lose money whether you sell one or two).

It's not like the advise I get here, while appreciated, is the sole basis for any of my decisions. Not that I don't have more to learn, that's part of what I like about photography. However, I've spent enough time with D7000, and I'm plenty competent enough to know that it just isn't what I want for my use right now. Therefore, I need to make a change, and I think the OMD might fit the bill well, sorry. It's not that the D7000 isn't a great cam, or doesn't have strengths over the OMD. (I know it has strengths over the OMD, or wouldn't have started this miserable thread to get an idea from others if I could live with it.)

Yes, my biggest gripe with the D7000 is its flaky AF. It works most of the time, but there are more times that it leaves me wondering why it didn't quiet get than I think it should for that level of camera. Not that I'm perfect, but there seem to be to many others in the same boat to assume that it is completely my fault. At any rate, that isn't the only reason the D7000 doesn't fit me, just the stand out one I guess. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it, it's been beat to death so many other places already.

Unfortunately, yes, I will be buying an OMD (or any other cam for that matter) sight unseen most likely. I don't have anywhere to look at one, and don't know anyone with one. It's cheaper for me to order one, and sell it if I have too with some loss, than booking a train ticket, paying for at least one meal out, and losing a day to do something else.

But in answer to your question, Yes it is a bad idea for you. IMHO

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow