Bracketing without refocusing between shots

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
KevinD65
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Bracketing without refocusing between shots
In reply to nfpotter, Jul 24, 2012

nfpotter, why are you being so mean and argumentative with me? If the technique isn't valuable to you, then don't use it. I thought it was kinda cool that you could do this, and I thought I'd share it with people. Isn't that the point of a forum?

I realize you don't need a distance scale to focus, but sometimes I personally have a hard time with MF, and I prefer a distance scale.

You can switch AF/MF either on the camera or the lens. Except if the lens doesn't have instant MF override, then you have to set it on the lens no matter what. For the on camera switch, I find it a little difficult to hook my thumbnail around it, especially if I'm out on a cold morning and have gloves on. For the lens switch, I find the AF/MF switch a bit stiff to slide back and forth, and in either case I personally haven't gotten good enough to do it by feel and so I have to swing my head around to the front of the camera to look at it and do it, and seeing the switches can be a little hard if it is dark outside. This way makes my shooting more accurate and productive.

The relevant Nikon menu settings are a bit confusing, which is also part of the reason for the original post.

For example, there are 2 menu settings that control the behavior of the shutter release button, setting c1 Shutter-release button AE-L, which is set to On or Off depending on whether you want it to lock exposure or not, and then secondly, setting f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L, which primarily controls the behavior of the AE-L/AF-L button, but secondarily controls the behavior of the shutter release button if you set it to AF-ON. It wasn't that obvious to me, and so I thought maybe other people were confused by it also.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow