Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Solomon N
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon camera repair
Jul 24, 2012

I dropped my new P7100 on the concrete. From at least 5' up. The glass on the display is cracked, but, apart from a distinct and lasting feeling of nausea on my part, the camera seems to be fine otherwise (I've shot about 200 images since, trying to look for any evidence of additional damage).

From what I can tell, the only officially sanctioned option is to send it in to Nikon for repair. Does anyone have experience with a similar repair by a shop that isn't an official Nikon repair facility? How about do-it-yourselfers? Getting replacement parts (don't laugh--it's worth asking)?

Nikon tells me that they can't give me a quote without seeing the camera. This seems silly to me. Anyone pay Nikon for a similar repair? How much?

I'm looking into what my renter's insurance might cover. It's too late to purchase a plan from SageMax or the like (so I can't, alas, do anything unethical).

I'm actually excruciatingly careful about NOT dropping things...just goes to show that "excruciating" isn't sufficient.

Thanks...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow