Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Azure Chicken
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Dilemma with "new" OM-D
Jul 23, 2012

I recently took delivery of an OM-D from Dodd Camera that was billed as new. As soon as the camera arrived, I popped in the battery (which had a full charge) to make sure it would turn on and noticed that the time/date had already been set.

It seemed unusual, so I checked the camera's diagnostic info and found that the shutter had been fired over 150 times. The flash had been fired about 50 times. Clearly not a "new" camera, at least in my book.

I wondered if I had accidentally been shipped a used and returned camera and shared my concerns with the internet sales manager. He was certain that the camera was not a return, and theorized that the staff had probably handled the camera, accounting for the shutter actuation figures. Makes complete sense, but even if that were the case, doesn't that make my camera an open box item rather than a brand new one? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Any other time, I'd probably return the camera and exchange it for one that hadn't been played with by the staff. Unfortunately, the sales manager couldn't guarantee that the other OM-Ds he might have in stock would be in any better condition. To complicate things, it's now past the purchase deadline for the rebate even if I got a refund and managed to find the camera elsewhere.

It seems I have two choices. I can keep the camera (and qualify for the rebate) or return it for a refund and buy it elsewhere sans rebate.

I can't decide what's best in this situation. Any cooler heads want to weigh in?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow