What is the useful life of a Leica camera?

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
porrsha
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
What is the useful life of a Leica camera?
Jul 23, 2012

Many of us own multiple types of Leica cameras but use only one for a "daily shooter". When we are looking to buy a used camera body we look at how many shutter actuations have occurred with the used body. I bought this camera body new when the R8 came out.

I took my R8 camera body to the largest car show on the East Coast on Friday to get some material. After 30 pictures the camera ceased to function except to go into a rapid fire mode with bursts of 5. I sat at a picnic bench and went through the manual hoping to find a setting that was wrong. I did not find anything wrong with the settings and now believe the main shutter button (top right) to have failed and is in a constant actuation mode.

My options are:
1. Turn in on this morning and hope for a miracle.
2. return to Leica factory service.
3. Buy another R8/R9 body.
4. Change to another camera body (Nikon D800E) and adapt all my glass.

I would gladly look at the latest Leica DSLR except that choice is the S system that none of my lenses fit and Leica wants stupid money for it. My results with the R system have been excellent but how long will a daily shooter camera body last even with a red dot?

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow