Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,361Gear list
Like?
Re: The problem and its workarounds
In reply to sean000, Jul 23, 2012

sean000 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Olympus 45/1.8: I have difficulties reproducing the problem with this lens. Shutter speeds like 1/50 and 1/100 usually work just fine even if I use my normal holding technique (left hand supporting the lens from below with the body resting on my palm, right hand on the grip and shutter button, camera loosely pressed to my face/glasses). I have seen the double contour on a few of my many tests shots but the large majority are just fine.

1/50s with IBIS usually works well for me and the 45mm, but I definitely see issues from 1/60s, 1/80s, and 1/100s. Pretty much same technique as well, so our experiences are similar.

Thanks for your comments Sean. Yes, I saw already in your previous post that we seem to have slightly different experiences with the 45 at these shutter speeds.

As for other lenses I believe I have experienced similar problems in the 1/60s to 1/100s range give or take a little, but i haven't tested this thoroughly. I shoot mostly with the 20mm, 45mm, 12-50mm, Panasonic 14-45mm, and Apanny 45-200mm. I have also found that deliberately making the shot less stable (shooting one handed using LCD) lets IBIS work more consistently.

See the update I posted just before this post. In my case, only the longer/heavier lenses seem to produce the problem.

So if the "screwy IBIS" is a design problem affecting all copies rather than a manufacturing problem affecting only some, the circumstances that trigger it are multifaceted indeed: It seems to vary not only with the shutter speed, the user, and his/her holding technique but also with the lens used. My findings so far suggest that the problem is worst with longer (and therefore also heavier) lenses than with shorter (and thus lighter). Unfortunately, these lenses are also the ones where alternative holding techniques are most difficult to practice.

That makes some sense as I have always found larger and heavier lenses to be easier to hold steady for a given focal length. I can get more reliable slow shutter handheld shots using my bif Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 at 35mm than I can with my small Nikon 35mm f/2 prime. If you can hold the 100-300 more steady than a lighter lens, then that becomes more of an issue with IBIS (or so it would seem that steady hands are the enemy of Oly IBIS).

Yes, you might be able to hold a larger and heavier lens more steady at the same FL. On the other hand, I suspect the problem to have something to do with resonance vibration rather than the extent to which you are able to minimize the shake.

At the same time, the implications are far more serious for some of these lenses than for others. Not being able to get reasonably reliable performance at 1/50 and 1/100 with a lens having an FL of about 100 mm is of course a major disappointment since those are precisely the shutter speeds where you'd expect stabilization to help you out at this FL. By contrast, getting reliable performance at 1/160 when shooting at 300 mm is just fine with me.

Right... It's more of an issue in some situations and not a problem in others. For indoor handheld shots of my family, it would be nice if it worked reliably, but I just leave it off for such shots. I never had stabilization with the 45mm or 20mm primes when I used them on my GF1. The nice thing about the E-M5 is that the high ISO image quality is so much better than my GF1 (and even much better than my Nikon D200) that I find myself shooting low light with faster shutter speeds than I ever did with previous cameras. I often use the 45mm from f/1.8 to f/4 and from 1/125s to 1/250s which yields more keepers anyway... Not as much motion blur when My subject is moving.

Yes. The new sensor is certainly nice. And in spite of the complaints, I'd much rather have the IBIS support I now have than no stabilization at all for anything but my OIS lenses. Provided that I have managed to nail them down correctly, the problems I encounter are pretty well contained in my case.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow