D800 - 24-70 at 70mm, iso 100. Not bad

Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
zsedcft
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Re: looks great but
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jul 23, 2012

FTH wrote:

unless some people need weather sealing, high flash sync and better video implementation, the D3200 offers the exact same IQ for a lower price (DX lenses are way cheaper as well). I am building a lens data base with about 15 different lenses tested on tripod.

This is just not true. Firstly, the D3200 does not use a Sony sensor like the one in the D800 and has an even higher pixel density so there will be differences in dynamic range and noise (I am not saying which will be better, but I imagine it will be the D800 on both counts because Sony currently make the best sensors).

More importantly, the D800 is a full frame camera; it offers superior depth of field at the same aperture so you can take images that are not possible with DX. You also get 36MP images vs 24MP and it is from these images that you can crop a section if you need to. The D3200 is always in crop mode. There is also better autofocus (including an autofocus motor for old lenses) and a much more advanced metering system.

Thirdly, there are more differences than weather sealing! The D800 has 450 pages of English manual, I doubt the D3200's is that long. There are hundreds of setting so you can tailor it to your exact needs. If I want to use a small camera I have a panasonic GX1 with prime lenses, it offers better video autofocus and is much lighter than even the D3200 but still maintains most of the image quality of APSC. If I want image quality, there is no better DSLR in the world that the D800/D800E.

I am sorry, but if you don't know there is a difference between the two cameras then I don't know how you are qualified to review camera gear.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow