Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,993
Like?
Craigslist Ad of the Day - 7/210/12
Jul 23, 2012

Once again, here is today's ad of the day in an attempt to reveal and/or highlight some of the questionable practices which have become commonplace in our professional industry.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/crs/3156067059.html

Sometimes, advertisements features hobbyists simply looking for new avenues to explore their photographic interests. This ad, however, leaves no room for question: "Professional Photographer Available!"

This self-proclaimed "outstanding photographer" has "invested" in a T3i Rebel is available for a variety of services. He/she says that they shoot in automatic mode, but assures that they know "know how to adjust f-stops and apertures". They can also add "those special touches your pictures need" with Corel and Adobe. A shame they can't also run a simply spell check to correct all of their typos... professional photography must be keeping them very busy. Too busy, in fact, to even include a single sample image.

Folks, I have been either in or around this business for more than 40 years. Though amateurs have indeed always permeating the professional industry, this sort of advertising did NOT exist before the internet. This is a new phenomenon and it does affect our industry in an adverse way. No, high end clients probably never see this stuff. But the market is made of more than just high end clients. As an example, ten years ago, I was contacted by a member of the military who needed an updated portrait as part of his application for an important promotion. It was a small job, less than 30 minutes. When it came time for him to get married, he remembered me and called me up. I not only shot his wedding but also later one of the bridesmaids, and then yet another bridesmaid after that. That one small job yielded three weddings and nearly $5K in revenue without having to do any ADDITIONAL marketing whatsoever. As Penguin has so effectively stated, the average professional now has to compete with non-competition.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow