I do not understand the appeal of the mirror-less cameras

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787Gear list
Like?
I still need to learn to use it with good composition
In reply to Timbukto, Jul 23, 2012

As both the 4:3 aspect ratio as well as being a wide-angle can be challenging to use. This is just a test shot that has tons of foliage, tons of symmetrical design, both very bright subjects as well as dark shadows. I paid $287 for my GF3 + 14mm prime together...it costs as much as a 28mm prime alone but now I don't have to do a lens swap.

The 4:3 aspect ratio provides interesting possibilities for me especially in portrait rotation. Basically it shoots as wide as a 17-55 2.8 at 17mm but contains far more framing on top and bottom.

The GF3 for being an ancient sensor somehow is a joy to PP...it is hard to describe. There is so much resolution there for an old out of date 12mp sensor. Noise is random and easily cleaned up in post...I did both highlight retention and shadow pulling (+37 shadows) in this shot. Again I'm not happy with it at all in regards to composition, but in regards to detail, sharpness, dealing with highlights and shadows...in this cheap P&S like body and tiny prime I'm pretty satisfied.

Lets see how the EOS-M compares especially in regards to price...I bet I can't buy it for $290! If I can get the EOS-M + that pancake f2 prime for less than $600 I will be utterly shocked and amazed!

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow