Positives about the Canon Mirrorless Offering

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew Booth
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
I'll be switching from a Panasonic GX1 to this...
In reply to aman74, Jul 23, 2012

I'm a long-time EOS shooter... I have a 5DII and had a 550D up until recently.

I wanted to downsize my second camera, so with no Canon mirrorless in sight I sold the 550D and picked up a GX-1 with 20mm f1.7 lens.

Now since my 550D basically had a previous version of this 18mpix APS-C sensor, I think I have a reasonable idea of what to expect.

• The m43 camera is nice enough, but I'm really feeling the lack of DOF control, even with fast-ish lenses

• The Panasonic sensor is a lot noisier than my old 550D sensor, and I expect the EOS-M to be better still

• Canon aren't known for their dynamic range, but the Panasonic's DR is awful. In high contrast scenes I'm getting black shadows and blown highlights - and if I try to recover in Lightroom I just see posterisation. The Canon sensors are a lot better.

• The leaked specs of the EOS-M are smaller in all dimensions than the GX-1, and it's lighter!

• Having full compatibility with my L glass will be very nice (albeit via an adapter).

All I'm waiting on (apart from the announcement) is some indication that the prime lens is good.

Andrew Booth's gear list:Andrew Booth's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow