Would a new camera help my image quality? Any suggestions?

Started Sep 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
Fishrman
Regular MemberPosts: 444
Like?
Re: My suggestion
In reply to Guidenet, Jul 22, 2012

Guidenet wrote:

Yes, almost all cameras in the price range you're looking at is APS-C size except Olympus which is smaller. Only around 7 cameras have a larger full frame size. With Nikon, that would be the D700, D3s and D3x selling for around $2600, $5000 and $7000 respectively.

The Nikon D5100, D7000, Pentax K5 all use the same wonderful new APS-C sensor. It's just how much you wish to spend. I like all three. In fact I'd considered getting the D5100 for my gal to replace the D5000 I got her last year. It's that good. Great color saturation, good dynamic range and exceptional low light capability. It's the first APS-C sensor to rival the full frame cameras in dim light and other attributes.

When you step up to the K5 or D7000 you're getting into a different class of camera I like to call the Enthusiast or Semi-Pro type. You're also nudging over $1000. What you get is a real optical glass pentaprism viewfinder which is brighter and bigger than the penta mirror arrangement found in entry level cameras. Your Pentax Kx, Kr, Nikon D3100, D5100, Canon T2i, T3 and the like are all entry levels and all share that trait.

The enthusiast models also always have a top mounted LCD for information. The usually have a metal body except for the Canon 60D. They have more robust shutters and faster frame rates usually. Your brother's D90 falls into this category.

That's why I suggested the D5100. I felt you didn't want to jump into the learning curve really needed to make the best use of the more expensive and larger enthusiast models. Personally, I think it's the best bang for the buck, but others might differ. I do know the Nikon 18-105 might be the best kit lens for it over the kit lenses made by others. It's more expensive slightly but worth it.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile via Plan

I don't mind going over the 1,000.00 mark. Do you think the K5 or D7000 would be enough better to be worth the extra money?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow