Do ´full frame´ images have a certain look about them?

Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jamtheman80
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Do ´full frame´ images have a certain look about them?
Jul 22, 2012

Basically I am an amateur who owned and had enormous joy out of using Canon 5D Mark II (before that the 5D Mark I). For personal reasons (first baby etc) and time outside of work consumed by moving house I could no longer use it that much to justify owning an item so costly, so reluctantly sold it and a few lenses for good prices.

Several months later and with things settling down I fed my DSLR cravings with a Nikon D5100 which I bought second hand at £350 for some moderate landscape work and a few family portraits. Im pleased with the results and am astounded at how much dynamic range there is in its raw files (even compared to the 5D Mk2).

But even the best exposed and focussed images just seem to lack something compared to my 5D files. My techniques and knowledge have improved but the results dont show it. I cant help but think I should consider ye olde 5D Mark I which can be had for as little as £450 which even with its considerable limitations compared to the d5100 (i would miss live view) and its dust prone sensor (which I could clean) seems to me to be quite a bargain. It unlike the D5100 can work with cheaper older lenses.

Or maybe I am mad? Anyone else gone to a cropped body and regretted it?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow