Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
soft images from new 5D3?
Jul 22, 2012

I just received my new 5D3 the other day and have been busy testing it with some of my EF lenses. I have been looking forward to getting it since I had use of a 5D3 shortly after they came out and I found all of the images to be very sharp with the 24-105 and the high ISO performance to be simply astonishing. To my surprise all of the images from my new camera seem slightly soft. Not very soft, but not at all sharp either.

The camera came from Adorama with the 24-105 and a 50mm f/1.4 (at a nice combined price) and I went to a local river park and took some photos. Several of those were of a dragon fly that settled down on a rock and, surprisingly, some of the images I took were completely OOF. The camera told me it focused properly, but the resulting image had nothing in focus at all. Some of the images were almost OK and probably could have been made more acceptable by boosting LR sharpening to values of 50 or 75, but I don't want to start doing that sort of thing to make images useful.

Here is one of better the dragon fly images. This was taken (as you can see) at a shutter speed of 1/320 using spot focusing with my arm resting on the arm of a portable chair. There is no LR sharpening in this image (not even the default value).

I then bought Reikan Focal to make sure that the lenses were all MFA-ed properly and found that none of the lenses were actually out very much. FoCal told me to set the 24-105 to +1 so that should not have caused this much softness.

I then used FoCal to MFA the 50mm f/1.4 and here is a 1:1 crop of an ISO target made with the MFA-ed 50mm. It also seems slightly soft to me although, perhaps, not quite so much.

I am posting this to ask readers opinions if they think that these photos are a little soft or if I am being too critical and also, if the photos are soft, as I think they are, if this is the sort of thing to send to Canon for adjustment or to request a replacement from Adorama. If I send it to Canon I am not sure what needs adjustment - the camera or the lenses.

My first instinct was to return it to Adorama and ask for a replacement, but I have also returned a lens to Adorama (I ordered the wrong one) and don't want to get the reputation as someone who orders an item, plays with it and then returns it. Adorama has always treated me fairly and I want to do the same in return.

Thanks for your advice.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow