Move from D7000 to E-M5 a bad idea?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
pgilland
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?
Re: eh...Give me a break
In reply to tyroiii, Jul 22, 2012

tyroiii wrote:

I moved from a D7000 to EM5 and I use itnfor similar reason as you, mostly kids. Generally, I like the setup that I have. Most pictures are sharper than I would have gotten with the D7000, primarily due to the extra DOF. However, i had to lower my expectation on a few things:

1) AFC does not work as well with CDAF. So, whenever my kids are running around, I either wait for them to slow down, increase the aperture or take videos of them instead.

2) While the AF have face recognition with eye focus, I haven't been able to get it to work as well as the D7000 where I would place the AF point on the eye. I find the AF area too big on the EM5. I know there's workarounds with zoom focus and changing the AF area size. But, I found them too cumbersome.

3) I initially thought that I would save money with an EM5 setup. It's turning out to be more expensive. There's more of a used market for Nikon, so you can get quality used lens for a reasonable price. For example, you will be able to get a Nikon D7000 with the 18-55 2.8 cheaper than an EM5 with the 12-35 2.8.

I think based on your pictures though, you'll be happy with the EM5.

Good luck.

I understand what your saying about lowering your expectations in these areas. I think I can live with that. I don't think keeping the D7000 is really an option for me. If I stay with Nikon, then I want the D700 for now. I don't see the mass difference between the the two being that big of deal once glass is on there, and I don't usually bother with the grips. Had one for my E-1, and I did like it though.

As for the financial difference, I guess this where my situation is unique. If I stay with the D7000, then I could sell my D700 and pocket about $1700. Only problem is I don't want to do that at the moment.

I could Sell the two D7000 bodies and glass, keep the D700 and buy more glass. Probably end up costing me some, break even at best.

Sell all the Nikon gear, pocket about $4400. Pick up EM5 body for $1000. Now here is where it gets good. I think I can get about a 50% discount on Panny gear because of an affiliation through work. Which means the 12-35mm f2.8 for about $600.

That leaves me with the OMD and Panny 12-35 for around $1600, and about $2800 in my pocket. I'm liking that right now! Of-course I may get tempted to pick up a couple more pieces of glass which changes the equation a little. We'll see how much will power prevails.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow