Move from D7000 to E-M5 a bad idea?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
tyroiii
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: eh...Give me a break
In reply to pgilland, Jul 22, 2012

I moved from a D7000 to EM5 and I use itnfor similar reason as you, mostly kids. Generally, I like the setup that I have. Most pictures are sharper than I would have gotten with the D7000, primarily due to the extra DOF. However, i had to lower my expectation on a few things:

1) AFC does not work as well with CDAF. So, whenever my kids are running around, I either wait for them to slow down, increase the aperture or take videos of them instead.

2) While the AF have face recognition with eye focus, I haven't been able to get it to work as well as the D7000 where I would place the AF point on the eye. I find the AF area too big on the EM5. I know there's workarounds with zoom focus and changing the AF area size. But, I found them too cumbersome.

3) I initially thought that I would save money with an EM5 setup. It's turning out to be more expensive. There's more of a used market for Nikon, so you can get quality used lens for a reasonable price. For example, you will be able to get a Nikon D7000 with the 18-55 2.8 cheaper than an EM5 with the 12-35 2.8.

I think based on your pictures though, you'll be happy with the EM5.

Good luck.

tyroiii's gear list:tyroiii's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow