Move from D7000 to E-M5 a bad idea?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?
Re: Move from D7000 to E-M5 a bad idea?
In reply to pgilland, Jul 22, 2012

pgilland wrote:

Since I can't really go big, now I want to go small and simple to carry more often. I considered some others, but leaning to the Oly EM5. Sounds like the AF is snappy, and the viewfinder isn't to bad (although never really used an EV much before). Bottom line, will my progression over the years from E1, E330, D40, D7000 and considering FF, make the EM5 seem that bad? Or has m4/3rds come far enough that the EM5 will be a good sole camera for awhile?

Go for it, I think you will not be disappointed with the OM-D. You might lose a bit in terms of focus speed and versatility, but you will be amazed by how small the m43 system is with its lenses and all. You can pretty much carry all your lenses all the time and never notice them in your bag. The system is that light.

Also, the IBIS of the OM-D cannot be praised enough. With primes that have no IS the OM-D IBIS is a huge advantage against any camera out here. Easily outperforming APS-C cameras with this advantage. Even the zoom lenses are smaller and lighter because they don't need IS.

I highly recommend the OM-D for you and never mind the overflowing snobbery of a lot of forum members here. This forum is overflowing with professional photographer wannabes that can't shoot if their life depended on it yet see it as their life mission to put down others that take up photography for the fun of it. Don't let that be a reason to miss out on a great camera and a great system.

Just ignore them and have fun.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow