D800 slow buffer?

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Re: Guidenet
In reply to Guidenet, Jul 22, 2012

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41033995

This is what I found in about 10 seconds (the reading of course took a bit longer).

But the point is that at least 2 people have good points that agree with my viewpoint.

Now you can regurgitate all the stuff that you've heard about this tech, but the fact remains that there is a reason why it is being offered. And I really don't think that it is as simple as you want it to be.

I can appreciate the idea of compression algorithms. But I also know that there is never going to be a simplistic tree of math that will satisfy the intricacies of tonal gradients for every scene and every picture taken by humanity with a camera. It's probably very close; much, much closer than the wide variance of nearly double the bytes required to express a picture without compression. But there will ALWAYS be variances for which the math could not anticipate.

Now you can talk all you want, but there is a reason that there is an option beyond compression.

That reasoning isn't known by you. But I guarantee you that there will be more accuracy in the uncompressed image methodology. Will that accuracy be important? Apparently not to you. But the whole idea of using a camera as powerful as the D800 is to use the best technique possible to eck out every single bit of resolution and tonality possible.

Is it required? Nope. Not at all. Will it make a better print? Probably no one would even notice.

BUT THERE WILL BE MORE INFORMATION THAT IS MORE ACCURATE.

(Now please kindly apologize for being a follower, and not having the personal ability to grasp such a basic concept but instead regurgitate what you have been taught and therefore brain-washed into believing. Just because you read something doesn't make it true. THINK MAN! IT's got 2x the data, and sure much of it is repeatable, compressible information; BUT NOT ALL OF IT!! Lossless? That's not even possible).
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow