Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
S5 Pro: The Value of Fast Autofocus
Jul 22, 2012

Today I went out with my SLR instead of either my X100 or X10. As it turned out, one of the best shots of today's walk would have been utterly impossible with either of my X cameras. These two dogs were walking to my left when they stopped, raised on hind legs and then hugged! It was totally unexpected (as well as hilarious) and I had to snap the shot in record time. I never, ever shot any camera as fast as I did with this image. Raised and fired as fast as I could. Thankfully, my S5 Pro wakes the second you hit the shutter button and the focus speed with the 24mm f/1.4 lens is decent.

Absolutely no way my X100 could have woke from sleep fast enough, and then focused to get this shot. Not a chance. For whatever reason, the X100 wakes far slower than an SLR. The slow focus is well known but the slow wake speed is also sub standard, especially for the cost one pays.

Another shot absolutely impossible to get with today's Fujis. This scooter is ripping by me at a very good clip. How this guy can drive so fast in a crown and not hit anyone is beyond me. I raised my camera in the blink of an eye and fired off the shot. My S5 Pro was in sleep mode but woke up the second I hit the shutter button, while raising to eye level.

There's good and bad with every camera. My S5 Pro, with battery grip and 24mm f/1.4 lens is very very heavy compared to my X100. It takes away (comfort) while giving (blazing fast shooting). You can't have it all, although I simply don't understand why today's Fuji's cant wake up from sleep instantly. Surely today's processors are loads faster than the 5 year old ones in an S5 Pro.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow