Any Quantum Trio vs. the new Canon 580 EX II or 600 EX Experience?

Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Boucher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512Gear list
Like?
Any Quantum Trio vs. the new Canon 580 EX II or 600 EX Experience?
Jul 22, 2012

History: I have a Quantum T5D-R, Some Alien Bees, and a worn out poor old 550 EX.

I really like my T5D-R for the portable sun, but a lot of times I used the 550 EX due to size/on camera capabilities.

My 550EX is worn out, it's had light stands collapse, long trips in backpacks, bounced around and is starting to show. The swivel locks are about gone, etc.

So I thought, no problem, 580 EX is about $350 - $399 last I looked (4 years ago) I can grab one of those as a portable replacement.

Hold up, $600? new model? what?

This is in the range of the Trio at this point, and since I have the T5D-R I already have the Turbo Compact (think it's called a blade now) so I can use that like I tried to use the T5D-R, on the bottom of the camera.

The T5D-R was heavy enough that my bracket I got would start to 'tilt' forward causing the soft box to get in the shot a few times. I have an old (like 10 year old) bracket I can't remember who made, it's one of those rotator ones. I love it. The trio and/or 600EX will fit.

I don't need the wireless capability of the 600EX. Only because it'll make me buy more of those if I want vs. being able to upgrade the Trio Basic to work with the FW that I have with my T5D-R.

So what I'm looking for is if anyone has compared/contrasted the two. One of the things that aways frustrated me about Quantum is the very limited reviews out there. They have a great how to/features on their site, but you seem to rarely seem them out there. The T5D-R is great, i've had a couple folks borrow it and said it saved the day for some stuff. So I'm quite happy with Quantum in general, just curious why 580EX/600EX jumped the price so much, and if it's 'better' because of it than the 580EX/550EX line was about 5 years ago.

Tom Boucher's gear list:Tom Boucher's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow