Wedding tips with EP3

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alfred
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding tips with EP3
In reply to Bluevortex, Jul 21, 2012

The 45 in particular will allow to detach subjects very nicely from the background. You can get excellent portraits. Indoors I was mostly luckier reducing auto-options as follows:

• Set sounds and beeps to a minimum. The less you intrude, the better.

• Set a fixed ISO, resulting in still acceptable shutter speeds with the lens wide open. As the light levels change, shift this value as needed rather than leaving it to automatics. It is a matter of taste of course, but those automatics tend to raise ISO a bit too early. The camera has good stabilisation and if the subject does not move too much you get better quality by keeping ISO a bit lower than the automatics would choose.

• Use A and control the aperture to your liking. I would use the 45 probably a lot wide open.

• Try to play with the light from the windows when still in daylight. I would aim for sidelit pictures from a range of angles to nearly, but not entirely, backlit.

• Experiment with the inbuilt flash to deal with eventual heavily backlit situations and note settings so that the flash remains nearly imperceptible and just serves to get the shadows to the desired range.

• If there is no daylight left, set in addition WB to a fixed value to your liking for non-flash use. If the light is from incandescent bulbs I set it usually to that. To have consistent colours is most useful for later processing, whether in RAW or with jpgs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow