Critters of Croatia (Macro when traveling without macro gear)

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fred vachss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290
Like?
Critters of Croatia (Macro when traveling without macro gear)
Jul 21, 2012

My wife and spent most of June wandering around the Balkans and, to keep my pack light I limited the gear to my 5D2, a 16-35II and 135/2. This worked fine for the intended purpose of landscape, urban and people shooting, but was pretty inadequate for wildlife - quite the quandary when I found that Croatia was teeming with Butterflies.

Fortunately I had made one concession to my macro obsession and thrown a single Kenko 36mm extension tube into the bottom of my pack. Almost all of the following shots are made with the 135 and the 36mm tube. It turned out that an even bigger limitation was the absence of a flash in my kit. I'd debated picking up a 270EX before the trip, and soon came to regret not doing so. To get adequate DOF in anything but bright sun I was forced to bump the ISO to 1600+, which has an unfortunate effect on fine detail. In any case, I hope my experience provides a seasonally appropriate object lesson in both the benefits and pitfalls of traveling light.

Here's the best of the bugs I managed to shoot without bug-shooting gear:

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow