Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Oilman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,671Gear list
Like?
I do not understand the appeal of the mirror-less cameras
Jul 21, 2012

I do not understand the appeal of the mirror-less cameras. Maybe I am just missing something. I understand the concept – DSLR or near DSLR quality in a camera the size of a P&S. But can they really deliver? Clearly, these things are getting a pretty nice sized sensor. But we all know that it is not about the body. It is about the glass. And all my lenses have one thing in common – They are pretty big. The higher quality ones (such as the 17-55 mm are even bigger). But even a lens the size of the kit lens would look pretty silly on a mirror-less and it sure defeats the purpose of having a small camera when you put a big lens on it. Does anyone really believe that the small pancake lenses some of these things come with will equal the quality of an average DLSR lens – not to mention L glass?

I am not a buyer here. I am very comfortable lugging around a big heavy 7D and all of the associated equipment and I hate electronic viewfinders. But the main reason is that when I head out to take pictures I want to be able to take the best ones that I am capable of taking. That means a DSLR and good glass. In contrast my wife likes to travel light. A pocket-sized P&S is all she needs or wants and that’s OK. The mirror-less seem to me to be the worst of both worlds. Too big to fit in your pocket, but not big enough to be able to use good quality glass.

I am really curious here. Why would you buy a mirror-less (which costs as much or more as a DSLR), instead of a DSLR? I would definitely appreciate comments on this

-- hide signature --

The first camera bag you buy is always too small

http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

Oilman's gear list:Oilman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow