What if G5 IQ rivals E-M5?

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
Pany may sell a few more
In reply to IcyVeins, Jul 20, 2012

To my mind Panasonic is not quite playing the same game as Olympus. Even before the OMD, the EP1 and 2 offered a heavy-metal 'real camera' build not found in any of the Panasonics. The GH2 offered better performance long before the OMD arrived, and although a poplular camera, I don't think it was quite the obvious classic the OMD is. Good camera. I'm sure the G5 will be too. The OMD is great, and has build quality and performance to keep one from worrying too much about the body-of-the-month for some time. So one can go back to properly obsessing about lenses, should that seem an advantage.

IcyVeins wrote:

If IQ is equal or close to E-M5 would that make the G% already the best value for m4/3?

I thought my EP2 was a cracking value at $299 brand new in the box. EPL1s have been $129 as of late. EPM1s can be had pretty cheaply too, I belive. And I think Panasonic has recently been attempting to give away GX1s for pocket change. All great values.

But even though the OMD is expensive compared to the Panasonic alternatives, it delivers on that cost. With recent Olympus innovations like the 12f2 and 45f1.8 lenses, the plaform suddenly seem robust and viable against a broad array of competitors. I can't wait to get the 75f1.8. Build quality and svelte dimensions meet design excellence meet jewel-like glass straight from heaven, and all live happily thereafter. It's all a bit expensive, but the value is still there. I honestly think people used to buy Leicas because they pushed a lot of the same buttons.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow