Best RX100 feature: don't have to buy 10 "must buy" m4/3 lenses

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeCryer
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: Best RX100 feature: don't have to buy 10 "must buy" m4/3 lenses
In reply to highwave, Jul 20, 2012

Reading this long posting I'd just like to add my bit. Most people in these forums get obsessed with arguments about which lens, body, format etc is best. And often the difference between these is so marginal that you'd only notice in the largest of prints. Nobody questions Henri Cartier-Bresson's images, which are quite grainy 35mm images compared to the quality of todays digital cameras. Everyone just remembers the images - great photos.

I bought a Panny G3 system last year. With five lenses, Raynor close up, a lighter tripod and other bits and pieces. All to replace a Fuji S2 and Nikon lens system. The G3 system is less than half the weight of my old system which means I use it a lot more. I looked at what was happening in the m4/3 arena, made my choice and then forgot about the technical aspects (apart form those required from operating the camera effectively) and just got out and took photos for pleasure.

This week I have bought the Sony RX100. Again I was looking to replace a 3-year old Fuji F100fd compact and waited until something particularly interesting came along. I have done some quick test shots of the RX100 compared to the G3 with the 14-45mm lens. Nothing scientific, but enough to evaluate the cameras. And guess what? The RX100 holds out pretty well. Each has slightly different strengths in terms of resolution in highlight or shadow areas; at higher ISOs etc. The Sony better at one aspect and the G3 better at another, but they are close.

So I'm really pleased with the RX100, I will forget about the specs, the technical side now and just go out and take some great photos. I will still use the G3 of course, the range of focal lengths are hugely better than the Sony. But the RX100 I can always take with me, grab it at short notice, it will fit in a pocket or a small case on my belt. And I will take pictures knowing that the quality will be near to the G3 and if the perfect shot comes along I won't be wishing I'd grabbed that instead of the RX100.

After all, 7 years ago were the forums not full of debates about who made the best 6MByte camera? Nobody said I'm giving up photography until they bring out a 24MByte model.
--
Mike Cryer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Bah!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow