Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike cooper
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
5D MArk III - AI Servo Mode
Jul 20, 2012

I have been shooting Canon EOS for many years and never paid a lot of attention to how AI Servo mode works. However, with the great amount of emphasis on the 61 point array in the 5D Mark III I would like to see if someone can explain it to me so I can use it effectively. I would say most of the shots I take are in single shot mode but I do use servo when shooting sports and also people walking.

I typically turn the dial to AI Servo and continue to move the camera as the person or object moves in the frame. The camera will continue to focus. With the 5D Mark III there is a ton more options for focusing from single points, to single points expanded, to zone, to the entire 61 point array.

So my basic question is - and I assume that I will need to set a focus point (either single or expanded and not the 61 point array). I would start my focus on that point and as the person moves does the camera move the focus point and follow the person? Does it use the entire 61 point array or does it only used the zone you have setup?

The other question I have is - how is exposure impacted when you use AI servo? Is it only recorded when you achieve the initial focus/exposure lock or does it continue to move around the 61 point array?

Thanks in advance and I hope this is a welcome relief from all the Nikon folks that are bashing the Canon cameras!

Mike Cooper

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow