Ever seen this problem with a D200 or other Nikon?

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
onedawg
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Ever seen this problem with a D200 or other Nikon?
Jul 20, 2012

So last month my dad gave me a pristine D200 body (less than 150 shutter actuations) that had mostly sat on a shelf in his closet for five years without being used. I immediately started using it and really liked the body (much more comfortable to hold and used than my D40X).

After taking about 800 pictures with it (so still less than 1000 shutter actuations) the camera started behaving oddly. It would take pictures but they had vertical lines running through them. The camera would always take a picture with the shutter button pressed, but the Menu and Playback buttons didn't always work. Now the camera is completely unresponsive and won't turn on even though the battery is fully charged. At first I thought that perhaps the CF card (Sandisk Extreme) had become corrupted but it read fine in my computer and trying a second card didn't change anything). I've included two pictures showing the phenomenon, one a 100% crop and the other the full picture (both from NEFs).

Do you think the camera can be reasonably fixed or is it just a goner? It'd be such a shame to junk such a great body like this, even if it is an older camera.

The D200 with my SB-700 on top and 50 1.4G on the front. Dad's EM-5 on the right with the bigger grip (so comfortable) and tiny external flash.

A picture of my niece taken with the D200 before it broke.

100% crop of the first bad photo.

A painful to look at full size photo exhibiting the same problem.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow