D800(E): The Sigma question

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rich Dykmans
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532
Like?
Re: D800(E): The Sigma question
In reply to harold1968, Jul 20, 2012

I'm happy with the Sigma 85 on my 800E. It's as sharp as my 70-200 VR2 @ 85. It may not be quite as good as the 85 f1.8 IQ wise but it is f1.4 and it's half the price of the Nikon 85 f1.4G. The newer finish Sigma is using on their lenses is nice as well.

harold1968 wrote:
this was my view

but I was wondering if I was missing anything, as some people rave about these lenses

best rgds

russbarnes wrote:

The only one I might touch would be the 85, but then Nikon make two lenses which are better now in the 1.4G and 1.8G. The rest are not worthy if you want real IQ on the D800 in my view, they are still well behind in the overall quality stakes despite their best efforts to increase pricing. The truth is that if you are going to invest in a body like the D800 then you probably shouldn't be looking at Sigma for your lens solution.

They're suited to the consumer market, the D7000 and D300 world - for me they're not serious professional lenses.

harold1968 wrote:

I have come across some interesting Sigma lenses:

1. 50mm f1.4. Seems to have alot of character. Corners very soft until f8

2. 24-70mm f2.8. Could be useful for non-serious event photography (e.g. childs party). Very mixed views on the net, some people say sharp in the centre at f2.8, others say only sharp from f4. Other comments are the wide end is better then the long end

3. 85mm f1.4. A lot of folk seem pro this lens, particularly on sharpness

4. 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS. not heard anything about this. A good cheap substitute for the nikon 70-300mm for occasional use only ?

any comments from those that have used any of these on the D800(E) ?

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow