Canon's mirrorless system camera: first picture!

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mattoid
Regular MemberPosts: 216
Like?
Re: Digital "inches" explained
In reply to EarthQuake, Jul 20, 2012

EarthQuake wrote:

Mattoid wrote:

dweekie wrote:

Interesting, the lens has 0.15m "macro" close focus ability. If it really is a 1.6x crop sensor, the lens itself will be an extremely useful one. I'm really curious about the pricing though. For some reason, I'm expecting a bunch of exuberantly priced plastic fantastic lenses coming from Canon..... I doubt Canon would cater the sensor towards rangefinder lenses either, but we'll see soon enough.

I was thinking, since the physical mount appears to be the same, if this lens was used on a 7d or rebel or this camera with an EF adapter, would that be like using a macro extender? Perhaps canon designed the lens with this in mind and made it a dual purpose lens. Or maybe it just focuses that close on its own.

Close focusing is very common with lenses of this focal length, Sigma has made a few 24mm lenses that focus to 1:4, which is just a few inches past the front element. I wouldn't read into it any more than that. I really doubt we'll see a backwards-adapter that allows EF-M lenses to be used on DSLRs, it would be too niche of a market.

You are probably right about it not being dual purpose, but if it was I don't think you would need any kind of adapter, it looks like a standard EF mount to me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow