Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rational
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
Canon Repair Department ripoff
Jul 20, 2012

My 60D, like many 60Ds, had a defective adhesive that holds the rubberized outer surface to the camera body. It was coming off in many places.

This is clearly a manufacturing defect that has been documented by numerous 60D owners in this and other forums.

When I sent it for repair to Canon's Virginia location, they charged me a full $200 to replace this $5 item (plus shipping costs to send it back to me). They called this $200 fee their "standard repair fee"; never mind that it takes 5 minutes to do replace the rubberized glue-on piece; never mind that the part costs a couple of dollars; never mind that it was an obvious manufacturing defect in the first place.

I long for the British law that obligates manufacturers to warranty products against defects regardless if the warranty period of 1 year that Canon gives in the US has expired.

When I talked to one of their supervisors there, I was given the usual canned speech about "we have no record of this problem having happened before"!

Yuk.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow