Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,730
Like?
5D-III focus ponts invisible
Jul 20, 2012

Today I was shooting a lovely lady in a black outfit with the 5D-III using studio flashes. It was totally frustrating that I could not even see the focus point in "current use" depending upon where it was on her black dress.

Normally I shoot in AI-servo mode using the AF-ON button for focus acquisition (on the 5D-II, 1D-III and 1D-IV) but this fails miserably on the 5D-III. There is no indication where the focus point is hidden somewhere in the black dress. Switching over to single-shot mode is a minor improvement only - if the camera achieves focus at least the current focus point blinks in red.

The only way I found to be reliable is to always do a focus point selection and move the focus to an easy to find location - and, of course, the entire screen lights up in red - most annoying.

I just may revert to the old 5D-II way of centre point only for focus and then recompose - what a waste of an otherwise superb focusing system.

Canon "has been working on this problem" since at least as early as April and no solution has come up. This will certainly negate my plans to pick up a 1DX which has a similar implementation. Seems I will be sticking with my 1D-IV and 5D-II for most of the difficult shooting in ballet, theatre, etc.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow