Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dukat
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
RX100 Moderately low room light samples
Jul 20, 2012

I decided to test the RX100 low light performance out of camera and PP vs. my Canon 40d. Photos were taken hand held, no flash.

Note: The only lens I have for the D40 that covered the same angle was the kit lens at f/3.5.

Lighting in the room was dual (warm tone) 60 watt incandescent bulbs behind thick glass and a TV. Despite what it sounds, the room was dimly lit as evidence by the light sensing night light in the back which was on.

At 100% zoom noise removal PP made a huge difference.

Post processing was done in ACDSEE and Photoshop, white balance, noise removal, tonal adjustment to bring out highlights and sharpening.

This wasn't a lab quality test. Post processing between the 2 cameras wasn't identical and could be responsible for some of the color/brightness variances.

I wasn't too thrilled with the RX photos until I compared it to the 40d and now I'm quite pleased with the RX. I think it performed better and is a fraction of the size and weight of the 40d.

I don't know how to post URL's of full size photos without having them load in the thread so I removed the h from the full size urls. Copy the URL and add an 'h' to see the original size photos.

Canon 40d, out of camera. f/3.5, 1/6s, ISO 640
Full size: ttp: i.imgur.com/K7ykI.jpg

RX100, out of camera. f/1.8, 1/30s, ISO 640
Full size: ttp: i.imgur.com/nO613.jpg

Canon 40d, processed (white balance, highlights, noise, sharp). f/3.5, 1/6s, ISO 640
Full size: ttp: i.imgur.com/94VPK.jpg

RX100, processed (white balance, highlights, noise, sharp). f/3.5, 1/6s, ISO 640
Full size: ttp: i.imgur.com/C3C65.jpg

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow