Discussion .... of pictures

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
Re: Hi Conan.
In reply to Barney Britton, Jul 19, 2012

If you wanna feel better, then you are well within your right to tell yourself it a relentless attack ..... Whatever..

A crusade? I've never criticized sample sets before, because there never was a need to.

IMO, the sample set was overwhelmed by style and shot selection, that I cannot gauge what it can do at its best. When I see the shots, I asked myself:

-Why are the ships so blur...?

-Why is the photo of the flat building so similar to some of my cellphone snaps? Even if someone take the same shot with a canon5D, what Is the shooter trying to tell us?

-Why is the woman's portait so darn odd? She has her scalp cropped off....don't they only do that to men who wanna disguise their baldness?

-Why snap a museum indoor shot of a non moving subject at ISO 160 at 16:9 ratio and have it underexposed and so noisy? Why is the subject splat right in the middle?

-Why aren't there shots which shows off the DR capabilities? I randomly went into dp's archive and found this. http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/90032/sample-7?inalbum=fuji-finepix-f700-review-samples from the year 2004, when people haven't even obsessed with DR. Why wasnt there any for the LX7 sample???

-And for a camera with such bright lens, where's the street photography and lowlight shots?

At 6000++views a picture, 'do more and better' seems more than appropriate..

Barney Britton wrote:

RaptorUK wrote:

Barney Britton wrote:

ConanFuji wrote:

Someone commented that the shots were zany...

I felt I cant gauge the real performance of the camera, the samples were not helpful IMO.

But I asked in a neutral way, cos I wanted to know what you guys think of the shots.
(although I must admit my comments below the sample betrayed my motive)

You were trolling, Conan. Let's be honest.

That was my first thought too . . . isn't that a good enough reason for you to delete this thread ?

I think this is one of those self-moderating threads where someone tries to start a flame war but it fizzles out through lack of interest/agreement.

Criticism of samples galleries is something we're used to (sometimes it's perfectly valid - we do what we can in the time available but frequently I wish we could do more, and better) but it's disappointing when someone tries to start a crusade, based on a very flimsy understanding of what we do, how and why.

bb
--
--
Reviews Editor
http://www.dpreview.com

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow