Northern California, which places?

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Northern California, which places?
In reply to acipriano, Jul 19, 2012

acipriano wrote:

I've lived my entire 62 years in California. I've been to all of those places many times over.

I would choose route 2. I have never gotten tired of Monterey, Carmel, Point Lobos and Big Sur, Cambria. I am still in awe of Tioga Pass and Yosemite. Bodie and Mono Lake are good stops too.

My very first must-do was the redwoods. Then it was Lassen. Then Yosemite. Then the Gold Rush-towns. Until my dear mother (my travelling companion) decided she absolutely wanted to visit Sacramento (...). And thus, I had to revalue everything I had drawn up by then.

That's when the southern coast came into the picture. I also realised I could easily combine the redwoods with a trip along the Oregon coast (which is something I plan to do in the future). Plus, I don't see myself returning to the southern parts of California as I have no interest in LA nor Las Vegas. So, that makes route nr 2 appealing as of now.

And depending on when we find ourselves in the Tahoe-region, we might even have time to make a loop around Lassen as well.

So yes, I'm heavily leaning towards route nr 2 now, thank you for the reassurance!

One more question, regarding lenses and focal lenghts. As of now this is what I travel with: D700, 20/4, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4. Would it make sense for me to have a bit more reach? I'm thinking about a 70-300 or one of the Nikkor 180's. I would mostly be shooting landscapes (outside the cities), and I gather that there are lots of possibilites to make "concentrated" landscape shots using longer focal lenghts along this route?

I'm normally more of a boring-normal-perspective-kind of gal, but maybe I should spice things up a bit, hah.

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow