'Background Defocus' claim by Sony for RX100 is misleading!

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
accupix
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
'Background Defocus' claim by Sony for RX100 is misleading!
Jul 19, 2012

As I have an HX9v with Sony's true 'Background Defocus Mode' (giving users a more "pro" look to photos that actually takes two shots, identifies the background and blurs it while keeping the subject sharp and in focus,) I was excited to read in Sony's literature that the RX100 has also incorporated Sony's 'Background Defocus Mode' included under 'Photo Creativity.'

Sure enough, there is a fancy sliding scale leading one to believe that one can control the degree of the 'Background Defocus Mode,' but all one is doing is changing the f-stop and the exposure time/ASA to compensate for the f-stop change. There is a second accessible scale along the bottom of the viewfinder indicating greater DOF with higher f-stops vs. less DOF with lower f-stops. Both these gimmicky scales do nothing more that shifting the f-stop/shutter speed/ASA which is available on the basic P-mode by using the default setting for the control ring around the lens which is basic to any photographer beyond beginner.

Giver the shorter focal lengths on pocketable P+S's, even with larger sensors, and the faster apertures at the shorter lengths of their lenses, I had hoped that Sony would have included their genuine Sony 'Background Defocus Mode' in the RX100 (that actually takes two shots, identifies the background and blurs it) and that the degree of defocus could also be controllable by the photographer at any f-stop/shutter speed/ASA combination that the situation calls for.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow