What to replace Pentax-A 50mm

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: What to replace Pentax-A 50mm
In reply to dpnaiba, Jul 19, 2012

All I know about the new Pentax 50mm F1.8 is that the MSRP on the lens is $249, which likely means it'll be available soon for around $200, maybe a bit less (I'm guessing). You can buy it direct from Pentax's website for $249, and unless they start pushing their UPP stuff hard again, I can't imagine this lens will go for the full $249 at Amazon, B&H, etc.

Unlike most of their newer lenses, however, it's NOT weather sealed (which makes no sense to me, since all their new cameras have been). If you never shoot in weather, that may not be an issue to you. If you have a brick-and-mortar Pentax dealer in your area, you may want to "test-drive" that lens before buying, since I haven't heard or seen any reports on it yet.

Of course the older 50 F1.4 is still available for about $100 more than that, maybe a bit less. I bought that lens almost 20 years ago, and probably would still have it if my main bag hadn't been stolen out of my car one night (they smashed the window out with the car parked right in front of my office). Some folks don't seem to like that lens, but I always felt if performed pretty well. Of course you're going to get very shallow DOF at F1.4 -- that's half of what F1.4 is all about (the other half being you can shoot in very low light).
Jeff
--
A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow