Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Northern California, which places?
Jul 19, 2012

I really could use some help in deciding which route we should take during an 8-day road trip the second week of October. Been tossing and turning with our choices for weeks! We'll start with five full days in San Francisco and then get into the car for the next eight.

These are our choices:

1) SF > north along the coast to the redwood national parks (via hw 128 and hw 1 to Mendocino, Leggett, Eureka and Crescent City) > up along the southern parts of the Oregon coast to Bandon (Brookings, Gold Beach) > (Crater Lake) > Mount Shasta, McArthur-Burney Falls > Lassen Volcanic National Park > hw 49 to Nevada City > Sacramento > SF

2) SF > Big Basin Redwoods National Park > Monterey > Big Sur > Cambria > Yosemite > Tioga > Mono Lake > Bodie > swish by Tahoe to hw 49 and Nevada City > Sacramento > SF

Photography-wise, which one should we choose? We will obviously not spend that much time at the various places, but with only in average around 130 miles to drive per day both routes do leave us plenty of time to stop and smell the roses.

Big Sur and Yosemite are of course icons, but that's also why I wonder if we should choose the redwoods, the northern coast and Lassen instead... Not to mention a possible drive around Crater Lake. Fewer people, more peace and quiet and more opportunities to be surprised, both in terms of views and photos??

I'd appreciate any input whatsoever as we're completely and utterly torn between these two routes.

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow