Sunrise/sunset Scenes

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise/sunset Scenes
In reply to Tim A2, Jul 19, 2012

Tim A2 wrote:

Thank you oldArrow. I can see from your web site you are not an amateur. Myself, I have been taking photos with a dSLR for only 7 yr and know that I have not advanced much beyond amateur status, but I am working on that. You have made some very good and relavent points.Your comment about amateur domain is particularly informative. In my travels about the US I have seen some magnificent sunrises and sunsets, most of which I failed to get a decent photo of (I don't mind endig a senttence with a preposition).

Thank you for your kind words. IMO, the "amateur" vs. "pro" has been misused a lot in everyday talk. An amateur (="the one who loves") is, to my mind, a person interested in something, and enough so to seek knowlege and ways to express it. Thus, it shouldn't mean "one who does not know (enough)", by no means. On the other end, I've met enough "pros" in my time which have been so overspecialized in their kind of photography that many other aspects of it have never been learned. So I never called myself a pro, not even when I was one.

In any case, whatever photo we look at carries more info about its author than its theme, which is quite understandable since photography is basically just another means of communication. And this consists of Something To Say combined with The Way Of Speaking. All good photos will have to use both components - or there will be nothing to see in the image.

Lookng back at some of my old photos on Flickr (some are by my wife) some do look a little over processed to me now. I know the sunrise/sunsent photos from my dSLR's and to a lesser extent from our P&S cameras always seem faded straight from the camera. I know it is difficult to recreate what my eyes saw when I PP the photos and It is tempting to enhance the color to what looks good rather than what is realistic. That is not to say a brilliant saturated color is necessarily unrealistic, just that it is difficult to recall color intensity.

Once we've had film, and each manufacturer claimed their accuracy in rendering of the pictured reality. None was accurate, in short. But some were more enjoyable than the others. My generation learned to look at Eastman Kodak imagery, noting (but accepting) the exaggerated warm part of the spectrum. Fujifilm was similar, also very nice in blues and greens... but it also tended to "beautify" reality.

Now that the analog photography is almost completely replaced by digital imaging, the developing and printing can not be "blamed" on anyone else out there... and people are slowly learning to be responsible for what once has been the duty of the service.

As to the old photos... I'll admit that every time I browse through some of my old folders (or slide film batches), there will regularly be something worth getting rid of.

We live to learn, and our criteria change with it. So there is much truth in the saying that "when you keep things long enough, you can throw them away".

Some photos in the challenge are obviously processed beyond what the rule allowed, but not so many as I first thought.

Thanks for bringing some wisdom to the thread.

Tim

-- hide signature --

Fil

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow