Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 3,540Gear list
Like?
SD1 Jaw-dropper (memory usage)
Jul 19, 2012

Although I'm stuck in time with a trusty SD10 out of choice, it is interesting to read about the later Sigma models. As one who usually deletes his approx 2MB low-res X3F's after posting watch shots on the web, I found the following quite overwhelming:

. . splits light into red, green, and blue at every one of the 4,800×3,200 photo sites on the sensor. A RAW file yields a 45 -megapixel capture. Sigma Photo Pro software processes the Foveon Merrill files into 8- or 16-bit TIFFs or 8-bit JPEGs in half, standard, or double file sizes. A 16-bit TIFF opens as a 337.7 -MB file, or 35×52″ at 180 ppi.

(my emphasis)

Only three 16-bit TIFFs per GB of memory!! I guess SD1 owners are really serious photographers.

P.S. I do realize why the files are so huge and I'm really not trying to wind anyone up. It is just a comment, no more than that. The older I get, the less inclined I am to keep up: XP for Windows, system 9.0 on my Mac, Elements 6.0, '68 Chevy pickup, - - the list goes on

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Ted.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +2 more
Sigma SD1 Sigma SD10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow