Advice please: New Canon 70-200 f/4 L or Old Canon 80-200 F2.8 L or Sigma 70-200 f2.8

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
govindrv
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
Re: On Canon 70-200 f/4 L
In reply to Press Correspondent, Jul 19, 2012

Thanks a lot. You got me interested in the non IS version. But where exactly does one obtain a mint version for under $500? kindly do let me know, I'm all for it.

Press Correspondent wrote:

Suave wrote:

70-200 f/4 doesn't need explanations, it's a great lens.

Well, there are two of them, IS and non IS. The older, but still sold by Canon, non IS version is the only model of all 70-200 lenses that contains an exotic and expensive fluorite element normally seen only in much more expensive and longer lenses. There is a question if this element is responsible for great color of this lens. In any case, the non IS version is one of the best Canon bargains, even after its price increase by about $200, but you still can pick up a mint one for under $500.

The newer IS version is twice more expensive, but sharper in the corners, especially at 70mm:

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=104&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=404&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

But this may not be so obvious in real live images. So there are some pros and cons to consider against your priorities. If you use a tripod or monopod, the non IS version is a great value.

-- hide signature --

Its your ATTITUDE, not your APTITUDE that decides your ALTITUDE

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow