D800 AF-ON Button to switch to AF-C , FW update?

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
D800 AF-ON Button to switch to AF-C , FW update?
Jul 19, 2012

Now that a switch form AF-S to AF-C is in camera/Menu.

My guess is, with a simple update of the FW we could have a choice to ASSIGN the AF-ON Button to "temporarily" and more importantly QUICKLY turn on AF-C !

Normally my jobs are basically AF-S type. There are other jobs where it is shot ALL in AF-C , sports. So, for me I do not use the AF-ON and the always on AF-C technique. Mainly because I like to use my thumb to move my AF point. And have got to the point where I am pretty fast at it. Just a matter of preferance.

BUT, there is always times when in AF-S that a QUICK change to AF-C is needed. Say when all of a sudden someone starts running.

Having the ability to PROGRAM / Assign the AF-ON button to be AF-C would be really useful , and I would imagine many others that might need to flip from AF-S to AF-C quickly.

CAN THIS BE DONE? I am thinking because of the way the D800 / D7000 button now is , it can be.

fyi: now the opposite can be true too. when in AF-C ... a AF-ON button press could switch you to AF-S ... where for say one shot you want to AF and Re-compose and wait for the action to happen with your new composition.

imho, a AF-ON Button push is WAY FASTER than the current way of doing it.

Thank you,
HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow