Lens advice for G5

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens advice for G5
In reply to rrr_hhh, Jul 19, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

If you are into macro, then take a closer look at the Olympus 12-50mm : macro is really one of its strong point. I think the results are on parr with the 14-45mm; it is a very versatile range, it will do video well too. Many people who got the OM-D with it (it is a bargain with the OM-D, at least in Europe), had the idea to sell it, but then decided to keep it.

That said, both Panasonic and Olympus have issued a wealth of standard zooms, but none really stand out, only exception is the new expensive 12-35mm F2.8 and perhaps the 14-45mm you are speaking of.

Thanks for that. I hadn't considered the Oly 12-50mm but, thinking about it, on that range, I wouldn't be too bothered about losing lens stabilisation. You're also re-inforcing my opinion that, of the various mid-range zooms, the original 14-45 is one of the best for IQ so, again, thanks.

Further down the line the 12-50mm would be on my wish-list but outside my pocket at this moment. I'd rather put any spare cash towards a prime or two.

Do you have any opinion, on what's been released so far, about the new 45-150? In general (though there are exceptions), a shorter zoom range indicates the possibility of better optics. It would also be less overlap between that and the 100-300 if I eventually go for a really long zoom as well. But IQ will be the major determinant so maybe I'd better wait for tests on the 45-150 before making a decision.

Thanks again

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow