From DLSR to NEX. How Tough a Transition?

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richard rodman
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
From DLSR to NEX. How Tough a Transition?
Jul 19, 2012

I own an A700 and it is time to upgrade. In many ways the easiest thing for me to do is to buy the A77 but the NEX 7 with a Sigma 30mm makes for a very tempting small package.

I went to my local Sony store, picked up the A77, and I felt right at home. The buttons and wheels were in familiar places and the camera, while large, was very comfortable to hold.

I went to the NEX 7 and it was, to my surprise, quite comfortable in my large hands. I wouldn't say it is a compact camera, but I believe it is pocketable with a small prime lens. I love that. Others may disagree, but once you put the 18-200 on it, there is little size advantage to the A77. Certainly the NEX is smaller and lighter, but neither camera is small or light.

I am an old school, mechanical kind of guy. ( I have hundreds of vacuum tubes at home. Does that give you a clue?) I have never really taken to electronic menus and the NEX wheels felt quite foreign to me.

How long will it take to become comfortable with the NEX 7? Does it ever become intuitive the way the buttons. wheels on a DSLR are intuitive? Can you change settings quickly enough with the NEX?

And, finally, why did you choose the NEX 7 over a DSLR? Because it is a smaller, more convenient package? Or, because it is a better photographic tool?

thanks,

Richard

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow