Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Xeones25
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
M4/3 with kit lens vs premium compact
Jul 19, 2012

From an image quality stand point what would produce nicer pictures? A M4/3 with the kit lens or a premium compact camera?

I'm not super knowledgeable with cameras so I don't know if the larger sensor or the nicer lens would make a bigger difference.

I know I will not be buying any lenses for a CSC or DSLR camera anytime in the near future. And I can't bring myself to spend more than $500 on a compact or $600 on a CSC.

Right now I'm focusing on the Samsung EX2F on the compact side due to the nice lens and it just scrapes by my $500 limit with the recently announced pre-release price cut. Canon G12 is also a consideration. Sony RX100 and Canon G1X is too expensive.

As far as CSC are concerned I've been concentrating lately on the Panasonic GF3 ($360ish), GF5 ($600), G1X ($560ish), and Sony NEX-C3 and F3 (I know these are not technically M4/3).

Size isn't a big deal since I'll be keeping the camera in a bag regardless. I'm not comfortable with putting something that expensive in my pocket where it could get scratched or squished. Price is nice, if I'd get the same IQ with the GF3 as any of the others I'll go with it. As I understand it, all of these cameras have HDR which is a requirement for me.

Any input would be appreciated greatly. Thanks!

Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow